Involved in a Royal Commission Inquiry? Do you need a lawyer?

Posted on Aug 15, 2016 by Janine Wilson   |   Categories: Litigation & Dispute Resolution

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (Royal Commission) has been very active in Newcastle recently.

The public hearing into the Anglican Church in Newcastle is continuing and a public hearing relating to individuals involved in the Catholic Church in the Newcastle region commences in a few weeks.

If you have received a summons to produce documents or a request for provision of a written statement, you should think about whether you require legal advice to assist you with preparation of those documents. It is an offence to fail to comply with a direction of the Royal Commission.

If you have been required to appear in person at a public hearing, you should consider being represented by your own legal representative during that hearing. As has occurred in the recent Anglican Church public hearings, there is the potential for witnesses to be asked questions by numerous lawyers who are representing different interests. This can be a confronting and challenging process.

The Royal Commission has powers to make non-publication orders or grant pseudonyms which will protect your identity in some circumstances.

If you are an individual, you may be entitled to a Commonwealth grant of funding to allow you to be legally represented during a public hearing of the Royal Commission.

Please contact Janine Wilson if you would like an advice or assistance with your involvement in the Royal Commission, call Baker Love Lawyers (02) 4944 3322.