Rebecca Furner is an experienced family law practitioner who joined Baker Love Lawyers in April 2015. She holds a Bachelor of Laws with a diploma of legal practice and a Bachelor of Business with a major in Management, both through the University of Newcastle.
Rebecca was admitted to practice law in February 2011 and was then registered on the High Court of Australia register in 2012.
She went on to gain her early legal experience working for a Newcastle CBD firm specialising in family law, until joining Baker Love Lawyers in 2015 and becoming Associate in 2016.
Rebecca holds an unrestricted practising certificate and completed her Master of Applied Law (Family Law) degree in 2018.
Her experience includes:
- Negotiating amicable settlements in property and parenting disputes following separation;
- Following pre-action procedures and conducting negotiations in financial matters, including collating and analysing financial documents, engaging in negotiations with the other party with a view to achieving an early resolution of the matter thus avoiding lengthy and costly litigation;
- Preparing and advising on consent orders and financial agreements;
- Attending family dispute resolution mediation before and during court proceedings;
- Initiating proceedings in the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia including those relating to parenting and property matters, divorce applications and applications for contravention;
- Preparing court documents including applications, affidavits and financial statements;
- Appearing in the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia for divorce hearings, directions hearings, interim hearings, conciliation conferences, contravention hearings, and instructing counsel in final hearings; and
- Representing clients with complicated parenting matters including those relating to allegations of unacceptable risks of harm, family violence, drug/alcohol abuse, mental ill-health and parental incapacity.