Rebecca Furner is an experienced family law practitioner who joined Baker Love Lawyers in April 2015. She holds a Bachelor of Laws with a diploma of legal practice and a Bachelor of Business with a major in Management, both through the University of Newcastle.
Rebecca was admitted to practice law in February 2011; was then registered on the High Court of Australia register and the Legal Aid Family Law Panel in 2012. She went on to gain her early legal experience working for a Newcastle CBD firm specialising in family law, until recently joining Baker Love. Rebecca holds an unrestricted practising certificate.
Her experience includes:
- Negotiating amicable settlements in property and parenting disputes following separation;
- Following pre-action procedures and conducting negotiations in financial matters, including collating and analysing financial documents, engaging in negotiations with the other party with a view to achieving an early resolution of the matter thus avoiding lengthy and costly litigation;
- Preparing and advising on consent orders and financial agreements;
- Attending family dispute resolution mediation before and during court proceedings;
- Initiating proceedings in the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia including those relating to parenting and property matters, divorce applications and applications for contravention;
- Preparing court documents including applications, affidavits and financial statements;
- Appearing in the Federal Circuit Court and Family Court of Australia for divorce hearings, directions hearings, interim hearings, conciliation conferences, contravention hearings, and instructing counsel in final hearings; and
- Representing clients with complicated parenting matters including those relating to allegations of unacceptable risks of harm, family violence, drug/alcohol abuse, mental ill-health and parental incapacity.