Rebecca McKenzie graduated from the University of Newcastle in 2006 with a Bachelor of Laws and Diploma of Legal Practice. She also holds a Bachelor of Arts with a major study in Politics, which she completed in 2003.
Rebecca was admitted as a Solicitor in the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 2006 and is also entitled to appear before the High Court of Australia. In 2013, Rebecca completed a Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practice through ANU. She began her career with the Legal Aid Commission of NSW in Newcastle as a solicitor in their family law department. Following that, Rebecca worked for a legal firm in Maitland, mainly working in the areas of family law, criminal law and general practice.
In July 2008, Rebecca joined the team at Baker Love Lawyers. For several years Rebecca practiced in a range of areas, with a focus on employment law, criminal law, family law, civil litigation, intellectual property and estate planning. In 2011, Rebecca began to specialise in the area of Immigration Law, and became a Registered Migration Agent (MARN 1174712). Rebecca was the founding solicitor of our Immigration Law practice, which is now a thriving practice area, consisting of three dedicated migration agents, whom are also lawyers. Rebecca continues to work in the areas of Employment Law and Intellectual Property law, with particular skills relating to trade mark applications.
At a community level, Rebecca has been a volunteer Solicitor at ‘Charity Wills Day’ projects organised by a national charity. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys reading, outdoor activities, and spending time with family and friends.
Rebecca’s primary areas of legal expertise include Immigration Law, Employment Law and Intellectual Property Law. Her experience includes:
- Employment law
- Advising on the drafting and assisting with the negotiations, bargaining with Union and registration of Enterprise Bargaining Agreements through the Fair Work Commission;
- Registering the termination of Work place Agreements through the Fair Work Commission;
- Advising and assisting on Unfair Dismissal claims, General Protections dispute and breach of contract claims;
- Advising in relation to Modern Award entitlements, the National Employment Standard and the Fair Work Act and Regulations;
- Drafting Employment Contracts, including Restraint of Trade deeds, Individual Flexibility Agreements and Confidential Information agreements; and
- Providing advice, assistance and representation with respect to Bullying & Harassment claims.
- Immigration law
- Advising and assisting clients with both Temporary and Permanent visa applications, including Partner Visa applications, Employer-Sponsored Visa applications, Student Visa applications, Visitors Visa applications, other Family-related Visa applications, eligibility for Australian Citizenship and many more;
- Successful applications for Ministerial Intervention direct to the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection;
- Advising and acting for national and international businesses with respect to the 457 Temporary Work visa program;
- Domestic violence claims for Partner visa applicants;
- Advising and appearing before the Migration Review Tribunal; and
- Advisory work generally with respect to Visa status, Bridging visas and options for Permanent Residency.
- Intellectual Property law
- Acting for corporate clients Supreme Court litigation for breach of copyright in design drawings;
- Advising on interlocutory relief for breach of Intellectual Property rights;
- Advising and assisting clients with respect to the registration of Trade Marks, including searching of the Australian Trade Mark On-line Search System and providing advice on international registrations;
- Drafting Cease & Desist letters with respect to Trade Mark infringement, common law passing-off actions and breaches of the Australian Competition and Consumer Act (Australian Consumer Law);
- Drafting Confidentiality, Non-Disclosure and Restraint Deeds with respect to the usage of Intellectual Property; and
- Advising on the Assignment or Transmission of Intellectual Property rights.