Samantha worked at one of the larger Newcastle Law firms in a variety of practice areas whilst studying for a combined Science/Law Degree and Diploma of Legal Practice through the University of Newcastle. Samantha was admitted to the Supreme Court of NSW and the Federal Court of Australia and granted her practising certificate at the beginning of 2001.
Upon completion of her studies Samantha and her husband decided to spend a year or two living and working in the United Kingdom. Things didn’t quite go to plan and it was fifteen years before they returned to Newcastle! During her time in the UK Samantha was employed at a number of very large city legal practices in London once again experiencing a variety of practice areas before deciding to concentrate her efforts in the Family Law arena.
Samantha undertook further studies and was admitted to the High Court of England and Wales in 2002. She immediately took up a position as a family lawyer and remained there until taking a career break to focus on her family.
At the beginning of 2015 Samantha and her husband recognised that the children were getting older and that if they didn’t move back to Newcastle now it would never happen! Not wishing to pass up an opportunity, they purchased a VW Campervan and spent five months travelling around Europe before flying to Australia.
Samantha commenced work in the family department of Baker Love in January 2016 and is enjoying the challenges and variety of work here.
Samantha is predominately dealing with the financial consequences of a relationship breakdown but is also capable of handling children matters and estate planning. Her experience has included:
- Large class action matters in London against major multinational corporations;
- High-End divorce cases;
- Legal Aid divorce and ancillary matters such as domestic violence (UK);
- Pre-Marriage or De Facto Binding Financial Agreements (AKA prenups);
- Breakdown of marriage or de facto relationships;
- Consent Orders for both financial and children matters;
- Contested financial and children matters requiring application and hearing at court; and
- Preparation of estate planning documents ie Wills, Power of Attorney, Guardianship.
Outside of work Samantha’s time is mainly spent with family and friends and often involves a boat. She is enjoying the process of rediscovering all that Newcastle and Lake Macquarie have to offer.