Dean Frith | Partner
Areas Of Practice
- Commercial & Business Law
- Estate Planning
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Dean is a commercial lawyer with an expansive practice ranging from all forms of legal transaction right through to large-scale multi-million-dollar corporate litigation, and everything in between.
As one of Newcastle’s top commercial lawyers Dean acts for many small to large scale businesses in Newcastle, the Hunter Valley and beyond. He draws heavily on technical competence, attention to detail, commercial acumen, and client satisfaction. He has a down to earth style and pragmatic approach to law that clients appreciate.
After leaving a career in banking with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Dean started his legal career as a law clerk at one of the nation’s leading law firms Allens Arthur Robinson (now known as Allens Linklaters) in Sydney but was drawn back to his hometown of Newcastle to forge his legal career.
Dean is also a common contributor to local media channels with a column in the Newcastle Herald, appearances on Newcastle local radio and podcasts. He has published articles in a range of publications including the Master Builders Association Journal.
Examples of specific types of matters
- Acted for the owner of a large tech company that held significant IP assets in the sale of that company to a national venture capital firm. Involved in all stages of the process including due diligence, negotiation of terms, managing stakeholders risks, provision of technical advice, drafting of multiple agreements, all elements of exchange and settlement.
- Provided technical and practical advice to a local SME on their Supply Contract to a large state Government owned energy company including all aspects of risk minimisation, governance and legislative compliance.
- Negotiation and drafting of a Joint Venture Agreement for a large-scale property development that required involvement in all steps of the process from the initial strategy meeting to the eventual sale of the assets.
- Dean has been the legal counsel for a national public company for over ten years and each year attends at the Annual General Meeting of the company. As part of this appointment Dean has been required to provide a wide range of commercial law advices including in corporate governance and Corporations Act issues.
- Dean acted for a Lessor and land owner in the negotiation, drafting and entry into an Agreement for Lease and Commercial Lease for a new multimillion-dollar child care centre.
- Acted for a property owner in the sale of their development site to a Sydney developer by way of option and then ultimate purchase.
- Assisted a Newcastle family to transition their expansive business assets and operations from one generation to the next generation of the family including advising on all elements of the business succession process.
Qualifications and memberships
Law Society of NSW
Dean knows the benefit of working closely with other professionals involved in a transaction. There is no area where this is more vital than in real estate transactions. Dean has worked with many of the Region’s most experienced and respected real estate agents. One of those agents is Jason Morris from Newcastle Commercial Real Estate Firm Movable who provided the following thoughts on his experience with Dean:
“I have many dealings with Dean in relation to the preparation and/or soliciting of commercial property contracts and leases. Dean delivers a concise personal approach to his clients but most of all keeps parties informed and up to date – a crucial trait when selecting your legal representative.”
Dean is an experienced commercial litigator and has appeared in most courts and tribunals. Working with some of the best legal minds in the country on a high-profile Supreme Court case Dean drew praise from barrister Andrew Coleman SC:
“Dean briefed me on a complex and difficult litigation matter. His instructions were always precise. He actioned whatever requests I made with speed and accuracy. From my observations, he had a very good relationship with the client and managed their expectations professionally in the cut and thrust of the litigation. He was a pleasure to work with and I would hope we could work together again. He is a solicitor I would recommend.”
Outside of Work
Outside of work Dean enjoys running, a range of different sports, the odd glass of wine and spending time with family and friends. He enjoys all kinds of music and even once dabbled in music journalism. He is a former member of Wallsend District Cricket Club where he played for many years.