Matthew Carney joined Baker Love in 2019 with over a decade of family law and criminal law experience. He has been recognised by the Law Society of NSW as an Accredited Specialist in Family Law.
Prior to joining Baker Love, Matthew was the Family and Criminal law practice group leader responsible for leading a team of seven at a mid-tier firm.
Specialist Accreditation is held by less than 6% of the profession in New South Wales and is a structured peer to peer assessment process enabling legal practitioners to be recognised for their expertise. The program consists of meticulous assessments on both legal knowledge and its application in practice. To retain their accreditation, specialists must demonstrate their commitment to their accreditation through their work and by undertaking additional professional development in their area of accreditation.
Matthew provides practical and effective advice in all family law matters, including property settlements, parenting matters, divorce, child support, contravention, recovery and/ or relocation proceedings.
Matthew’s experience also allows him to advise clients in matters involving corporate entities, complex tax structures, self-managed superannuation funds and international assets. He also has experience in high risk children’s proceedings including matters in the Magellan list.
As an experienced criminal lawyer, Matthew appears weekly in the Local and District Courts throughout Newcastle, the Hunter and Central Coast. Matthew has developed expertise in complex criminal matters including sexual offences, dangerous driving causing death and/or grievous bodily harm, drug possession and supply, break and enter, and violence related offence. Matthew also has a large Local Court practice including traffic and drink driving, licensing appeals, AVO (ADVO and APVO), drug and violence related matters. He has also been a lecturer at the Traffic Offenders Program.
When appropriate, alternative dispute resolution methods, including negotiation and mediation will be used to resolve matters in a client focused and cost-effective manner by consent without the need to commence Court proceedings.
However, if Court proceedings are necessary, Matthew has significant litigation experience to vigorously represent clients before the Court.
In criminal law matters, Matthew has a success rate (in contested criminal matters and non-convictions when plea of guilty in entered) significantly above the NSW average.
Matthew has significant litigation experience and is an accomplished Court advocate. He has represented clients on thousands of occasions in the following Courts:
- Federal Circuit Court of Australia;
- Family Court of Australia;
- Family Court of Australia – Full Court of Appeal;
- Local Court of NSW;
- District Court of NSW;
- Supreme Court of NSW; and
- Supreme Court of NSW – Court of Criminal Appeal
Matthew practices in the following areas with Baker Love:
- Family & De Facto Law
- Family Law Property Settlement
- Family Law Divorce
- Family Law Children matters
- Family Law Child Support
- Family Law Financial Agreements
- Family Law Separation Agreements
- Family Law Recovery Applications
- Criminal Law
- Apprehended Violence Order (AVO’s)
- Drink Driving (PCA)
- Drug Driving
- Sexual Assault, Indecent Assault and other sexual offences
- Dangerous Driving causing Death and/ or Grievous Bodily Harm
- Negligent Driving
- Stalking and Intimidation
- Drug Possession and Drug Supply
- Break and Enter
- Larceny and Stealing
- Malicious Damage to Property
- Penalty Notices
- Accredited Specialist (Family Law)
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Economics
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Legal Practitioner of the Supreme Court of NSW
- Legal Practitioner of the High Court of Australia